Statue of St. Lawrence in St. Lawrence Church, Birgu

 The statue of St Lawrence is in a Spanish touch of an unknown artist, no dates available.  It is a 16th Century statue brought to San Lorenzo-a-mare by Spanish sea farers before the arrival of the Knights of St John in 1530.  the face of this statue is very inspiring and also refined.  This statue is dressed with the sacred vestments of a deacon of the Roman Church.  The last Inquisitor of Malta in 1798 Giulio Carpegna donated the Alb to this statue before he left his office from Malta, this Alb could be seen on the statue during feast days of the patron saint.  The dalmatic is woven in a rich crimson colour and adorned with gold embroidered designs and with precious stones, this beautiful dalmatic was made in Rome in 1903 by the firm Tafani and cost the sum of 92 sterling. 

The silver plinth and the artistic walnut base which are of great artistic value were also made in 1903.  The plinth is adorned with four silver statuettes by Abram Gatt of Cospicua, these represent the four virtues of Faith, Hope, Charity and Purity.  On the  four sides of the plinth there are the coat-of-arms of the four parishes in Cottonera thus, Vittoriosa in front, Cospicua and Senglea on each side and Kalkara at the back.  The plinth was made in Milan by the firm Ghezzi and cost the sum of 585 sterling.  It was designed by Alfonse Maria pace, it weighs 64 Kg.

The artistic base (bradella) is unique in Malta for its design and is another masterpiece, it attests the great skill well renowned of crafts masters of Vittoriosa at the time.  This base was also designed by Alfonso Maria Pace and the carpentry was made by Lorenzo Ruffini.  There are eight statuettes, two on each side made of silver bronze by Abram Gatt in 1903, they were gilded in silver together with all the attachments this year 2004.  The statuettes each bear an emblem of a basilica dedicated to St Lawrence in Europe, six in Italy, one in France and one in Madrid.  On each side of the base there are coat-of-arms of four important personalities connected with Birgu.  In front there is the emblem of Pope Urbanus II the Pope on the throne of Rome when Count Roger of Normandy occupied the Maltese islands in 1090 and established Birgu as the first parish for the south of Malta and Mdina for the north.  On each side there the emblems of Grandmasters L'Isle Adam and La Vallette, and at the back there is the emblem of Count Roger.