Open Day at the Second World War Shelters situated at Couvre Porte
On Sunday 17th April 2005, the Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna in collaboration with the Birgu Local Council and the Malta Tourism Authority organized an open day at the Second World War shelters situated at Couvre Porte Vittoriosa, where guided tours of the wartime shelters were oraganised. This day was organized to mark the granting of the George Cross to Malta on April 15, 1942.
The event included the manning of a light anti-aircraft gun and the announcement of air raids by various means. Another person demonstrated cooking on a field stove like the ones used in the Victory Kitchens that were used to provide cooked food for the population agains coupons issued by the government. Visitors were also able to sample some of this food.